Welcome to Positive Polly Posts!

Positive Polly Posts

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Boys and Girls


Typing to Tunes: Hey Boy - The Blow, The Time is Now - Moloko, Love's Almighty - Telepopmusik, Longest Road - Morgan Page

SO...this is going to be a fun blog. Because as you would know if you read my blog, I geek out on people, interaction and how we communicate with each other and especially with ourselves. I have been thinking about the content of this impending blog since my walk to work this morning. Here we go.
Groggy morning, slept in, hair wet in a bun, bundled up for brisk walk to BART, coffee tumbler in hand, boomin' head phones to a somewhat new playlist. Lake Merritt is beautiful in the mornings, sun is shining, people are running, the bums are friendly, I'm stomping to the music, The Blow song "Hey Boy" begins to stream through my hot pink and blue headphones.
I have heard this song a million times.
BUT I have yet to really listen to the lyrics and the meaning of the song.
This song is not particularly "deep" or "moving" but I found it funny and insightful and brutally honest. 2 things I like very much in just about anything.
So here are the lyrics and I will walk you through them with my thoughts and feedback if your interested in TEAL. If not, I have included a link to the music video. Check it.
It may help to listen along with the lyrics.


Hey Boy
Why you didn't call me?
I waited for days
I can't believe you didn't call
Like in the video, why is it that, lets be honest ladies...we have waited for the phone/email to ring. We have sat in bed at night wondering. No, we are not crazy for doing this...but we do it and it's torture. Not all boys put us through this torture (boys don't flatter yourself). What is funny is that "waited for days" is somewhat true. Everyday that goes by that they don't call, we think crazy ridiculous things like "O well maybe he didn't want to call to soon". "Maybe he's busy." "But wait, did I say something weird". "Why wouldn't he call, doesn't he want to just talk to me?". Torture.
A. You're gay
B. You've got a girlfriend
C. You kinda thought I came on too strong or
D. I just wasn't your thing
no ring
Yes, I have encountered all of the above. Truly. A. I have gone out with 1 (maybe 2) boys that were clearly gay or very confused. B. Yes, I have gone out on a first date with a guy with a girlfriend - man I wish he read this blog. C. I'm SURE I have come on too strong, and D. well thats the "He's Just Not That Into You" reasoning and yes I have read that book and thank god for it. Thank you Karen for making me read it in college. Listening to the song list her mental multiple choice game as to why the "boy" hadn't called feels very...familiar.
Hey Boy
Why you didn't call me?
I waited for days
I can't believe you didn't call

When we sat outside for an hour at the party and talked
I thought something good could be starting
It's not a lot that I want
just some talking
and really, you just injured my pride
O boy o boy. Have we all heard our girlfriends say some version of the lines above.
"But he said...." "and we talked forever, ya know just talked" "I think he was really listening."
When we say these things, the crazy meters shoots to red and we automatically look like we want to take them home to meet mom and dad. But in reality (once we get our head out of the clouds) "Its not a lot that we want" ... we just really thought something good could be starting. But why do we think that automatically...it turns to "something could be starting". Why are we so convinced that something is starting...why couldn't it just be a normal friendly conversation? Torture.
But in the end the next day or the standard 3 day waiting period...our pride is injured. Our hope for "something good" and that doesn't turn out, we are let down and our pride is injured. But what doesn't make sense is that we set these expectations for hope. Hoping that something good turns out (of nothing) and at some point I think as females we try and just believe that something good will work out. And when that expectations is broken we are well ... like this song.
Hey Boy
Why you didn't call me?
I waited for days
I can't believe you didn't call

Susan said that maybe you're scared
Shelly says there always is a reason
and Chris said you're probably surrounded by girls and I'm just not one of them you're needing
Girls. I know I will never understand boys and I'M SURE they will never understand us. Part of this reasoning is because its not just ourselves that we're talking to. We talk. We're girls. And we talk about boys to our girls. A lot. Like most girls we need to talk about just about everything. The reason we feel this need is b/c we have to throw this crap against someone else and see if it sticks. We have friends like Susan that are sweet and hopeful. They reassure you that the reason he's not calling is because he's scared or doesn't want to scare you away, maybe he's busy, maybe he's just focused on his job, or maybe he just doesn't want to move too fast. Then you have friends like Shelly and Chris. The realists. The friends that just call it like they see it and let you know that hey, get over it, he probably isn't about you, don't obsess, don't take it personal. Easier said than done. I think I have more Susans :). So by talking and talking. We only make the torture worse.
So Polly why are you so inspired from this song?

Well besides The Blow being aaaamazing and the lyrics and the tone of song truly unique...Valentines Day is looming. I hope this blog serves as some positive reenforcement for my single ladies out there. We (present coming included, proudly newly dateless) should NOT look at this day and be sad as so many do. But instead remember to have control of what AND who you want. Yes, we get knocked off and distracted from this confident idea often, I know I have, but let that be only a brief period of dumb girlness and MOVE ON. Learn. Maybe talk to yourself less.:)
Thank you boy, Susan, Shelly and Chris.

Happy Valentines Day ladies, go love yourself.
Love,
Polly

No comments:

Post a Comment